Monday, October 27, 2008

MRI Results!!

Good news....the doctor called this morning (I've been anticipating his call all morning and trying to keep myself busy) and the results look completely fine. No tumor, no hydrocephalus, nothing to worry about. So the plan of actions is as I mention on the last post. We are now patching his right eye to make his left eye work hard and get stronger. The last two days have been quite the experience....when he was a baby patching was easy...now try patching on a 19 month old, NOT FUN! However, we have realized that if we keep him super busy with thing he loves, like being outside, then he doesn't even touch it and leaves it alone. If we are in the car or tell him it's time to go inside, the patch gets ripped off. Oh this is going to be a long eight weeks!! We've been able to do an hour for the last two days, which the doctor said was good, but I know we need to do the full two hours.

A couple of things the doctor said today on the phone was that he believes since birth Ethan has never learned to use both of his eyes together. The reason being is that from birth he had MED so he favored his left eye. As soon as surgery was done and his right eye became normal he started using that one, which has now caused the slight cross. So my doc thinks that he just doesn't know how to use both eyes together to focus on an image, he just uses one. The doctor also said that he can see him cross in both eyes, but he actually prefers to cross in his left eye. (my crazy little child). So for now we will be patching and then going back to the doctor in the middle of December. From there we will again check things out and then decide if surgery is needed. The doctor did tell me to prepare myself that it may take a couple of surgeries as he grows. It might correct itself with one, but it could also come back and require a few more surgeries. I'm ok with this. I'm so grateful that it can be corrected and fixed. I'm grateful that he has good vision and can still see. The surgery is just an outpatient surgery, so we get to go home the next day....and the other good thing is after that we have usually hit our deductible and out of pocket that most stuff is picked up 100%. ha ha ha!

As of now I feel a huge relief. Kurt and I both knew that everything would be fine. I said many many prayers and knew my Heavenly Father was listening to me. I was actually extremely calm on Friday ( I know some of you don't believe that, but it's true) and knew things would be ok. So for now when you see us outside playing, throwing rocks, and riding his bike, you can all tell him he looks super cool with his eye patch on!

11 comments:

Walter Family said...

That is such good news to hear! I'm so glad everything turned out fine!

The Jacobson Family said...

That is great news, Sky had to do that same thing it's not fun trying to patch the eye but we made it through as I know you will too. She did have 2 surgeries and it has helped alot. She now dialates her eye once a week and wears glasses just until it is completely better.Good Luck with the patching.

OLIVERSONFAM said...

YAY!!
I am so glad he called with good news.
I bet Ethan looks so cute as a Pirate!...Him and his little patch!
You should post a pict of him with it on!

Allison said...

I'm so glad he's fine. That's the kind of news you want to get.

I'm Mindy. said...

What a relief! Our prayers have been answered...

We love you Ethan...You do look super cool with your patch!

Jill said...

Good news!! He probably looks so cute with is patch. 2 hours a day isn't bad. Much better than all day.

Jessica Madsen said...

We are happy to hear that all is well with your cute little boy. i am sure you feel better knowing everything will be ok.

Ariel said...

Oh thank goodness. I am so happy everything is okay with your kiddo.

Ruby Ridd said...

Wow! I have been on vacation and didn't read your blog until today! I am so glad I read after you got the results! Glad everything is okay with cute little Ethan! Good luck with the patching!!

N Luthi said...

Yeah! poor baby though with the surgury and patch...

Annie said...

Glad to here the little guy is OK. Sounds like you have a really good doctor. I hate it when doctors just assume everything will be OK. I am glad he did tests just to make sure. Have a happy Halloween.