Friday, May 22, 2009

My BFF...The BodyBugg

Well I kept putting this off. Not because I'm not proud of myself for kicking myself in the butt and getting healthy, but because it's an embarrassment. After we got married I gained some weight, and then after I had Ethan it seemed to just go down hill. To me I've always been a confident happy person, I never let my weight get me down. So to this day when I look in the mirror I still see ME! My clothes now fit different, but to me I still am me in the mirror!

Back in the middle of November I decided that I needed to get healthy. Kurt and I both want more kids and I didn't want to be heavy when I got pregnant again. So I set off with the goal in mind to get healthy. My brother Phil and his wife Alaina have been Gym guru's and have gotten themselves into shape, healthy, and they look great. Alaina had done the BodyBugg for the last two years and I decided to call her and see if it was worth it. For those of you who don't know what the BodyBugg is, it's a small armband you wear on your arm that has a small computer inside. Every day it calculates how many calories you are burning. You plug it into your computer onto a website, and then enter in all the food you have eaten that day. What this does is put into perspective how many calories you are BURNING a day and how many calories you are CONSUMING a day. Obviously you try and burn more then you eat. Some of you may have also seen this on the Biggest Loser.
My first goal was 30 pounds and I hit that in February!! And in the last three months I've lost one pound shy of 20. So I'm down 49 pounds. It's amazing how much it has changed me. I eat COMPLETELY different, yet I still enjoy my favorites. I've just learned that some things aren't worth it. I have so much more energy, I want to walk and be active instead of sitting, and I just feel better all around.

When I first started I could barely walk at a fast pace for more then ten-fifteen minutes. Now I'm up to running straight for 3 miles at a steady pace. I can do things I never thought I could do. Now I've ran a 5K and hope to do more. I wanted to document this for myself, to see before and after pictures, so that I never go back. This is quite embarrassing to me...I didn't realize how fat I was! I know most of you who see me on a regular basis were used to me like this...but ugh!! How embarrassing. Plus my hubby jumped in too and has lost 25 pounds.

Here is a picture of us in Hawaii last year.


And here is the one of us this year.

I didn't realize the difference until I looked at these pictures. I hope to keep on losing, but am SO happy with where I am at. Now I just feel like it's a bonus when I do lose more! My ultimate goal that I had said in the very beginning is 13 pounds away. One day I will be there, and I will keep on striving to reach it!

32 comments:

OLIVERSONFAM said...

You look BEAUTIFUL in both picts...But, I will admit you are looking pretty HOT these days!!
Now that you are HEALTHY.....TIME TO GET PREGNANT!!....YAY!!!!!

Brandi Johns said...

Kara, that is awesome. I think the thing that I admire most about you is that you never let your weight change you. You never let it be a negativity in your life. You do look amazing and what you have accomplished is extremely inspiring to me. You look so great, and I know that you will reach your goal. I have heard that bodybugg works great for people. that is such a cool thing! Keep up the good work, and I will see you at the Salt Lake Half Marathon next April!

Hess Fam said...

You look amazing!!! Good for you kara!!

Walter Family said...

It's so amazing that you have been so dedicated - that's so hard to do especially with kids! You've accomplished so much in such a short time! I've always thought you were so gorgeous, but I'm so glad you are feeling so much better now too!

BROOKLYNandJEFF said...

Holy cow! You look great! I still have 35 pounds to get rid of after having my baby. Maybe I should try the body bugg. Congrats!

Beth and Jess said...

You are gorgeous. Always. Way to go.

Jessica Madsen said...

I am seriously so proud of you. It is a hard thing to battle with weight. I have done it all my life. I told you you look sooo awesome!! Keep it up!! I did the body bugg after having Miley, and then wondered why after 5 months I was starting to gain weight, and I could not control my appitite?? Well, turns out I was pregnant again!! Surprise:) no weight loss here;). So if all of the sudden you stop droppin the pounds, go take a pregnancy test;). J/k. You are an inspiration, and so beautiful!! Hopefully after this baby comes, I can use you as my motivation to get back to healthy.

Isaac and Dallas said...

Kara you look awesome. keep up the great work.

Team Jordan said...

Kara, you look so great. I was thinking that when I saw you in Subway the other day. :)

Emily said...

Kara you are my inspiration! Seriously! I am down 14 pounds as of this mornings weigh in and thats in only 4 weeks (way more than my goal per week btw) I am so glad I got to talk to you that sunday! The body bugg is exactly what my brain needs and having someone who blazes the trail helps a lot! You are awesome!

Ali Holt said...

Wow you look so GREAT!!! And so does Kurt! Good for you guys! We are coming home in July for Brennans wedding, so we will FOR SURE see you there!!! I cant wait! love you guys! Give that little monkey of yours a kiss for me.

Anonymous said...

You Look GREAT!!! Jabren used the bodybugg for a while and if youre on top of it, it really does work!! Keep up the good work!!! :)

Ashlee said...

I know I've told you this several times, but honestly, you look amazing. I am so proud of you and the accomplishment you have made. I wish you the best of luck in your with the next "13". I wish I was closer so that I could see you at the gym more often. Darn, I miss those 5:30 classes! :)

N Luthi said...

holy cow the difference in those pics are amazing....you look so great!

The Jacobson Family said...

You look awesome Kara!! You are such a cute person inside and out. We love and miss you guys.

Kimberly said...

Kara you are simply an inspiration. WOW you look stunning!! How much is the body bug? Way to go, nothing to be ashamed of at all, thank you for sharing!!

Margetts Fam said...

AMAZING!!! Before and After pictures really put things in perspective. I know how you feel and I don't want to go back to feeling lazy. I have loved exercizing with you and I am so happy that you enjoy it. That is all that matters. It is the best feeling to feel healthy. I know you will keep going and pregnancy will be easier and better because of your good habits. Go Kara!!!!

Margetts Fam said...

I forgot...Go Kurt!!! He actually looks great too. I never thought he gained weight but you can tell in these pictures. I am happy for you guys!!!

Ruby Ridd said...

WOW! You look great! I guess it's been a while since I have seen you in person! Let's go to lunch! Keep it up! The lost weight is a bonus, being healthy is what counts. Congrats on the race as well.

Sherry said...

Kara, you are beautiful both inside and out. I wish I had kept going like you. I love you. Kurt you look great too.....

Angie said...

Holy freakin poo Kara! I hadn't realized it either. You looked completely awesome and Kurt looks great too. I haven't seen you in forever (just pictures) so I hadn't realized how drastic the change was. You look amazing and I'm glad you feel so great too. Wa-hoo for you!

hollyw said...

You look amazing!!! Way to go!!1

The Broughs said...

Well FIRST of all... I am offended, I thought I was your BFF! Rude, Second of all... you are amazing and my hero! Congrats on all your hard work. You look awesome.

Kellie said...

Well, 23 comments later, I am so late at checking blogs... but you look AWESOME Kara :) I love how you worded everything, and I've always seen YOU. You are so happy and kind and that's part of what makes you so beautiful! But good job on loosing, you are an inspiration to many! I love you :)

Kristin said...

I wish I had your HOT ASS! You, my sister, have always been BEAUTIFUL to me!! You are my hero!

Clifton and Melinda said...

You look awesome Kara!! I think that is so awesome that you have always seen "You"...that is totally something that I struggle with. I may have to check into this Body Bugg thing :)

Tanya said...

You are one hot momma and have always been! I am so proud of you! You are so inspiring to so many people. Keep up the good work! Love yah lots!!

Jesse said...

Way to go! I am so inspired! I have always thought you were/are gorgeous, but I can't believe the difference in those 2 pictures. It feels so great to feel good about yourself and know that you are making good choices! I need to take some lessons from you and get back on the bandwagon!

The Dabo's said...

I could not believe the before and after. That's so awesome. I had to show Tyler, he was like I don't even really know Kara but I am so proud of her. What a dork. Then a guy at his work is in this competition with his family on who can lose the most body fat fastest and so Tyler showed him your guys' before and after (sorry, so embarrasing) and the guy totally knew you guys and went to your high school. You can thank Tyler for that one. Small world.

Becky said...

You are so beautiful inside and out no matter what!!!!I love you

Finding Joy in the Moments said...

Great Job Kara and Kurt. I am going to do the body bug too. I will let you know if I have any success.
Hope I will have a story like yours.

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed with your accomplishment! Both of you guys! Way to go! You guys have just motivated me!