Thursday, February 26, 2009

Eye Surgery...COMPLETE

Yesterday was Ethan's big day for some more eye muscle surgery! We checked in at 9:30 and he was taken by the anaesthesiologist by 10:40. We gave him a sedative to calm him down before they took him from me. My mom and I couldn't stop laughing. He laid in the wagon as they wheeled him down the hall with his legs sprawled, head on pillow, and eyes in a zone. He gave me kisses before they took him through the doors and when he couldn't see me anymore yelled, "Buh bye!"

Around noon the doctor came in and told me everything had went well. He did well in surgery and they completed what they needed to do. After that I was sent to recovery where he snuggled up to me and fell asleep, this never happens, Ethan wants to go go go. Then about fifteen minutes after that we were sent to post op, where my mom was able to come meet up with us (Kurt had to work!) and that's where the not so fun began. Ethan was so agitated, it's normal with eye surgery patients or so they said, but he wouldn't calm down. I wouldn't want to either if I had people checking my blood pressure, iv hooked to my foot, some heart thingy hooked to my other toe, and my ears being checked for a temperature. He had a hard time opening his eyes and wanted to rub, which is a big NO. So we had to hold him down, which only made him more mad. Finally after about an hour and a half of crying, the nurse said, "Maybe he will be more comfortable at home." I was so glad she thought so, cause we wanted out of there. And from that point on he was much happier. It was a fun night with lots of snuggling and even falling sound to sleep on me for a little over an hour.

Last night we had to put arm restraints on him so that he couldn't rub his eye in the middle of the night. Here is a picture of him wearing the restraints during his nap...so sad! Last night I wanted to cry looking at the position he was sleeping in, but the funny thing is that he was excited to put them on today! Crazy kid!

We are so glad that the surgery is all over. This should help with the little bit of crossing that he was doing in both of his eyes. The doc said that his eyes were straight by the end of the surgery, so we will go in in two weeks and do a check up. His eye is super red and it hurts me just to look at it. It will stay this way for a couple of weeks, then turn pink, and eventually back to white. Also in the picture above it doesn't look so straight, that's completely normal. Apparently the eyes have to readjust themselves and this takes some time. So during the next few weeks his eyes will do some shifting.

As of this morning he was back to being himself. Crazy and all! We love him so much and I don't know what I would do without my little guy. There are so many kids up at Primary's going through so much, and I'm so thankful that it's only his eyes, and nothing more. Hopefully this will correct the problem and no more surgeries, if not, there may be some more in the future, but until then....we hope this is it!

11 comments:

I'm Mindy. said...

Oh little Ethan...

I am so glad that things turned out.

OLIVERSONFAM said...

My eyes are watering just looking at his poor little eye!
I'm glad things went well.
I LOVE the arm restraints!...I may need to borrow those for Trace. Maybe they would help him from hauling off and hitting Avi.

Kellie said...

Sweet baby! I'm glad everything went well, and that's so cute that he was so snuggly!

Angie said...

That little face of his kills me. Poor guy. I think it hurts you more than it does him (although I hate when people say that to me). Sounds like everything went well. I can't wait until he's fully recovered and all better. :)

Kristin said...

I laugh at every single picture you have of him! Even with his eye all red, he's so silly to me! I love the face he is pulling! Glad it's over, and went well....love you!

Isaac and Dallas said...

Poor guy. Good thing he bounces right back. I love that he was excited to put the arm things on for nap. What a weirdo.

Tanya said...

Poor Ethan. I am so glad that the surgery went well. I laughed at you and your mom putting him in the wagon and saying buy bye! I can totally picture you doing that. Hope all is well with you guys! I miss you so much!!!!

Walter Family said...

It's so hard to see little ones go through anything like that, but I'm so glad it all went well! He is such a little cutie!

Beth and Jess said...

Awwww!! His poor little eye. It makes me so sad. And the arm things that is the worst. I am glad it is over. I think that stuff is more traumatizing on the mom than the kid.

N Luthi said...

get well soon buddy! poor baby!

Henderson said...

Wow, what a trooper. Hope this surgery did the trick and the recovery goes well.