Wednesday, September 1, 2010

4 weeks = AMBULANCE RIDE

Reese's one month mark was quite the day. Our day started out normal on Sunday. I decided to attempt church and ended up staying the whole time. During priesthood/relief society I had gotten Reese to sleep and got her all buckled in her car seat at the end of the meeting. About two seconds after I had buckled her in I heard her throw up (no big deal, she does it all the time). I looked down at her to see her face turn as red as a tomato and her eyes start bugging. I panicked and got her out of her car seat as fast as I could. I immediately flipped her over on my arm and started hitting her back to get her to breathe. With no luck and panic really starting to set in I took off running out of the room. I flipped her over and mucus was coming out of her nose and she still wouldn't take a breath. I jammed my finger into her mouth, got it on top of her tongue, and pushed her tongue down to open an air way. Finally at that point she started screaming, but as she would try to inhale through her nose she would lock her jaw again and stop breathing. At this point I had found Kurt and he started getting the stuff out of her nose the best he could and got her to keep screaming. I started to feel a little relief at this point.

As we were standing in the hallway a brother from my ward, who is a paramedic, came over and started helping us and asking us what had happened. He decided to come home with us to see if we could suction out the mucus because she was still having a hard time when she would try to inhale through her nose. We got home and tried for about ten minutes to suck stuff out, but with no luck. I calmed her down and Ken (the paramedic) told me I should take her to an insta care and get her on some oxygen and see if they could clear her out. We thought that would be a great idea. During the time that we were talking we all looked at her and her arms and her legs were going blue, at that point I saw Ken get a little worried (she was still breathing but it was labored) and he told me we needed to call 911. Apparently her body wasn't getting enough oxygen so her body was sacrificing other areas to get oxygen to her core. The ambulance and firetruck got here within three minutes and had us immediately bring her out to the ambulance. They had something ready to go down her throat to clear it out, but after holding some oxygen over her mouth she calmed down and her color started returning. She instantly started improving, but they wanted to take her to the hospital to make sure she hasn't aspirated anything into her lungs! So off we went in the ambulance to Riverton Hospital where we stayed for about three hours while they watched her to make sure she didn't do it again. They took x-rays of her lungs and those all came back negative (thank goodness) and she looked good. As the doctor was getting ready to release us she gave one last call up to Primary Children's and to my pediatrician to let them know what we were doing and they both wanted her to be transported to Primary's to spend the night where she could be monitored. So another ambulance ride up to Primary's where we spent the night while she was monitored.

Everything ended up being just fine, they think she has acid reflux, which I've thought all along, and for some reason this time she just couldn't get it back down. Since coming home she's done it two more times in her car seat but she's been able to get it back down. I've had some major freak outs and am now scared to put her in her car seat. However we started her on prevacid yesterday hoping that it will help some. I guess we will just have to wait it out and see. We are just so glad that everything was alright! I don't ever want to experience that again, it felt like pure helplessness. I'm so thankful that she's alright! I know my Heavenly Father was watching over her and I'm so grateful that she's ok! I'm also very grateful to have been at church where Ken was! Had it have happened at home by myself I don't know what I would have done!

18 comments:

Rich and Nickie said...

Oh my goodness Kara....that is so scary! I'm so happy that everything turned out ok. Doesn't it amaze you the amount of strength it must take for parents of really sick children? Right after Kendyl was born we were in the hospital for a week when Kendyl was sick....and than a week later when Sadie was sick. That's the worst feeling when you feel helpless and the fear of just not knowing if your child will be ok. Thank goodness for modern medicine to give us a little peace and reassurance. So glad things worked out well for you guys. Miss ya!

I'm Mindy. said...

Oh Kara...I am sooo sorry! She has been in our prayers and I truly hope that you never have to experience that ever again. We love you guys!

Walter Family said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry you went through all that! Brayden stopped breathing for a time when she was about a month old and I had to call 911 and it was the scariest feeling I've ever felt. I'm so glad everything ended up being okay, and I hope and pray for you guys that it doesn't happen anymore.

OLIVERSONFAM said...

That was the most ACTION PACKED Sunday of my LIFE!!
I was shaking like CRAZY!!
I'm glad she is doing better and hope that the Prevacid does the trick!
POOR BABY REECE!!!

Ashlee said...

How incredibly scary! I am so glad that she is doing better and I hope Prevacid kicks in real soon. We love Prevacid at our house. Best of luck and I hope everything continues to go well.

The Blanchard Family said...

Holy crap! That is so scary. My heart was pounding just reading that because of how scared and helpless and can imagine feeling. I will say. . .prevacid worked wonders with Aden!! I hope it kicks in FAST!

Angie said...

Oh my, I would die. I am so glad she's ok. And I'm glad YOU'RE ok, that would certainly panic me as well. Hopefully the prevacid helps out a bit. good luck!

N Luthi said...

Oh my Kara! First off I am so glad she is okay, but what an absolutely terrifying experience. I went through acid reflux with porter and now again with Ryland so I understand the massive amount of puke. And I am always worried that somehow they would puke up tons and choke on it. But watching you baby not being able to breathe sound horrifying. I just want you to know I will keep you guys in my prayers and hope she will breathe more easily!! You are amazing!!!

Jessica Madsen said...

how terrifing! It sounds like you handled things so well. We are so glad to hear she is okay! Sorry to hear she has reflux though. Not fun for anyone. I will tell you this until I am blue in the face... Reese is so absolutely, stunningly gorgeous. What a beautiful baby girl! I want to reach through the computer and hold her! And...having two kids does not make you boring! you are one busy lady!! Also, love your new BOB! You will too!

The Jacobson Family said...

Wow! That is so scary, I am glad she is ok. Love You Guys!

hollyw said...

Oh that is so scary. I am glad she is ok and hopefully the prevacid will work!

Karly said...

OH MY SCARY! So glad everything worked out for you but what a horrible thing to have to experience!

Karly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rosalie said...

HOLY COW Kara, that is VERY scary! I am sure glad she is ok and I am sure glad you had help that day! Matthew had reflux as well and it was horrible. Nothing as bad as what poor little Reese had to expreience, but I will tell you that Prevacid worked wonders for Matthew! He took it well and it worked VERY well to stop the vomiting! I hope she gets better soon!

BROOKLYNandJEFF said...

That is sooo scary! My worst nightmare ever! My two rules for Adam are no choking and no drowning. Gosh! I am so glad everything is okay now.

Kellie said...

Sweet Baby! I'm glad she's doing okay. I hope she can grow out of that fast! I'm sure you are afraid to leave her alone; how stressful! Well we love you guys; please let me know if there's anything I can do!

Beth and Jess said...

You poor thing. I am so glad it turned out well. Those experiences are terrifying and life changing. she is so adorable I hope she is doing better.

sarah said...

Oh wow, Kara. That is so scary. I'm glad she was in good hands and things are okay!