Sunday, September 6, 2009

The 10K...

Well I finally did it! I advanced from a 5K to a 10K. 6.2 miles!!! I know to some it may not seem like a lot, but my weight loss journey began almost a year ago come November!! Wow how time flies. After many days, months, and hours running on my treadmill, neighborhood runs with Nickie and Vicki, and the trekking class with Alaina on Saturday morning, made me love running and got me in shape. Ok, maybe not LOVE, but I do like to feel like I can accomplish different things. Ten months ago I would have said you were crazy for telling me that a 10K was in the future, and now I've done it!

Every year we head up to Midway for the fun festive Swiss Days and some madness shopping (post coming soon of the swiss day weekend). After looking up some 10K's I found that there was one right up here in Midway; and since we were already going to be up here for Labor Day weekend, I figured why not. So I recruited some fam; Kellie, Mindy, me, Kurt, Alaina, Phil, & Lynette all set out at 7:00 a.m. to start the race.


It's surprising how your body naturally gets into a rhythm after so many miles and you feel like you can keep on going. Kurt and I crossed the finish line together at 1 hour 1 minute and 12 seconds. I'm pretty excited about it, next time I hope to beat the 1 hour mark!! Here we are all after the race with runners high.

Now it's off to a half.....MAYBE!

15 comments:

Tyler and Jill said...

Kara...great job!!! I love the pic of you and Kurt running. You are an inspiration to everyone!!!

Kristin said...

You are my hero...for real! You make it seem like anything is possible, and I love you and look up to you in so many ways! Next year I'll be there with you....maybe!

I'm Mindy. said...

This race felt so good...good job running...you have every reason to be proud!!

The Dabo's said...

That's awesome you little runner you. I have no idea but it seems like a great time too!

BROOKLYNandJEFF said...

Congrats! I am so proud of you! I can't run for more than 5 minutes! I do like the cycling classes at the gym though. You inspire me!

Isaac and Dallas said...

Way to go Kara that is awesome. I still thinks your crazy, but a half would be fun to say that you've done it.

Jesse said...

Woohoo! Way to go! You look so fabulous! We ran a 10K the summer after high school. It is hard, so good work!

jenkins family said...

Yay, good job! I didn't know your time; you are awesome :)

Finding Joy in the Moments said...

congrats. I can bet a 1/2 marathon is not far away. I love jogging too. I jog 3-5 days a week mostly to the new Oquirrh Mountain temple or around the Oquirrh lake. 5ks are my favorite. I only do 10 ks when I am racing. ( which I don't do much any more.) It looks like a fun time. Keep up the good work!!

Ashlee said...

Awesome - congrats!! What an accomplishment. You make me jealous! :)

Angie said...

You look like a super hot super sporty wonder women! Good job chica!

Rich and Nickie said...

That is really such an awesome time. I can't believe how much you have accomplished in a year... now if only you can get your lazy neighbor from making you walk on your workouts your half would be that much closer \''/ Actually I want to do a half in April and full in May...up for either?

hollyw said...

WOW!!! way to go!

Ariel said...

Way to go! You look great. You make me want to go put on my running shoes right now. Maybe we can run together some day if I ever make it back to UT.

Kevin, Michelle and Jamin Gilbert said...

I am so impressed! Wow! You are such an example to me! I am needing some motivation to loose my "extra" weight. I am looking to have a baby in the near future. I know how to eat, I am just lacking the motivation. Any suggestions would be wonderful!