Sunday, August 23, 2009

A little of our week....

My sweet little boy has now refused to call me "Mommy" and insists on yelling my name when he wants to tell me anything or needs my attention. We go to the store and it's, "Kara look" or "Kara stop it." He has also insisted on calling Kurt by his name and not dad. He has started adding more and more words together in his sentences, telling me what he wants for lunch, telling the nursery leader he needs "to go polly (potty)" even though he isn't or hasn't even started to be potty trained, and is content to sit and watch Monster Trucks on TV.

We also had a huge accomplishment of actually sitting in the sandbox. Ethan is very OCD and from the time we got the sandbox has only walked around the outside and occasionally stuck a shovel or bucket in the sand. Just the other night a little buddy of his threw sand on him to which we had a mental and physical breakdown. He also insists that I take his shoes off if he can feel one grain of sand in his flip flops. Well the other night when Kurt was grilling us up some hamburgers he went and sat in the sandbox. He had actually stepped in it the day before with no shoes on, which was huge progress, but this was HUGE. He then told Kurt he wanted his shirt off and then continued to go SIT in the sand. Both of us were in disbelief so of course it was captured on camera. He even let Kurt bury his feet.

Saturday was quite the day. It started off getting up at 6:30 and heading to Sugar House Park to participate in the "Love your Body" Wasatch Women's 5K run. I did it with Kurt's mom and sister. It was a great race and a nice kick in the butt. I did it to prepare myself for the 10K I'm about to run in two weeks....to which I think I might die.

Right after the race we were off to East Canyon. Any day we can take the boat out we try and take advantage of it. Our friends the Jacobson's met us up at East Canyon for a day at the lake! It was so stinkin hot, but the water was ice. It was lots of fun just hanging out and playin around. Of course with no nap Ethan crashed sitting on one of the seats.


We got home in time to shower, get ready, and head out on our date to Desert Star Playhouse. We got season tickets this year and it's been so much fun! It guarantees us a date night with just each other every couple of months. So we got a neighbor girl to come babysit and headed out for the night.

Finally to end the week on a great note we attended the Oquirrh Mountain Temple dedication at our stake center tonight. It was so awesome and wonderful to hear our prophet speak to us and know that all of our temples are dedicated and set apart as a House of the Lord. We are so blessed to have so many temples so close. They said that here in Utah we have ten temples in a two hour radius. How lucky are we? I can't imagine the sacrifice people go through just to have their families sealed together or attend a session. We are so lucky and I take it for granted every day. It was a good reminder of taking the time to really attend the temple as often as our circumstances permit. I'm so grateful to live here in Utah with so many so close to us!

And now it's off to another week.....

11 comments:

BROOKLYNandJEFF said...

What a fun day! Running, lake! Sounds great. We are just planning Adam's 1st birthday, he'll be one next month!

hollyw said...

What a busy weekend! The temple dedication was so neat!!! I am so excited to go back to the temple now that it is dedicated!

Walter Family said...

What a fun week! Ethan cracks me up! I can't wait to hear him call you Kara, that's so funny!

Rich and Nickie said...

sorry if it was Mason throwing the sand at him...I just can't trust my kid! Looks like you had a fun week!

Emily said...

I totally relate to the name thing....Gabby did that too but she chose to call Jason Bob. We never did figure out where that came from...

Jessica Madsen said...

funny stories about your little guy. Or maybe I should say your big guy! It seems like it is just growing up so fast!! We are jealous of the fun boating days you are having. The mountains look so beautiful. Things we definitly miss from Utah...

Kellie said...

You are a busy girl! Fun stuff though; Good job on another race, your are a rock star :) And Ethan is so cute, I love him!

OLIVERSONFAM said...

YAY for Ethan and his OCD Breahthrough!! That boy CRACKS me up!

Isaac and Dallas said...

What a fun week. I am just glad that Ethan can finally sit and play in the sand. The whole Kara thing is awesome. I love it. He is so cute.

Tyler and Jill said...

HOLY CRAP...a 10K!!! That's crazy cousin! I am so proud of you...what an accomplishment.

Unknown said...

I can't figure out where Ethan gets his strong will from (Kara j/k). He is so darn cute :) You know I have a friend who still calls her parents by their first name so... That might not go away j/k :)