Sunday, March 1, 2009

Fukuoka JAPAN


Well I guess it's time to let the cat out of the bag, some of you may know and others it will be a shocker! My parents have been called to serve in Fukuoka, Japan as Mission President!!

I knew at some point my parents would most likely be asked to serve. I think we've been preparing for this day for some time. I just didn't think it would happen so soon and thought maybe if I didn't think about it, it wouldn't happen. My parents are amazing and wonderful people and I feel like I get to brag about what good people they are, because they really are. They are the most selfless people I know. Not only have they been wonderful parents to me and my siblings, but have been my best friends. They are great examples to all who meet them, and I hope to be just half of the parents, friend, neighbors, and people they are. I know that the missionaries out in Japan are going to be extremely blessed to be able to be with my parents for THREE whole years! (Yes Ethan will be five when they get home!).

When all of this was happening this last month I knew that Heavenly Father had prepared us in many many ways. In more ways then I thought and through ways that I wouldn't have seen. I've had my mom and dad for 25 years, and many more to come after these three, but how could I ask Heavenly Father to keep my parents home when there are other people in Japan who need them more then I do at this time! I'm extremely thankful for the gospel of Jesus Christ in my life, for the faith that I have in my Savior, and to know that there is a true purpose to this life. Returning to our Heavenly Father is what this life is about, and we need to serve Him in order to get there. If I need to learn anything from my parents being so willing to go serve, is that I need to serve more.

Don't get me wrong, these are going to be a hard three years. I've already had tears, and am sure there will be many more. Those of you who know me, know that we do a lot with my family. I'm very close to both my parents and talk to my mom or see my mom most every day. Mom and dad are always getting us together to swim, BBQ, or just go out to dinner! Thank goodness both my brother and sister live close and that we will have each other. We also can talk to my mom and dad every day if we need to, and can go visit throughout the years. I guess I better get my papers in for my passport! Japan here we come! Thanks goodness for the technology today that will allow us to see them through the Internet, phone, web cams, etc.

I'm so excited for my mom and dad and know that this is going to be a great experience for all of us! I'm so proud of my them and know that they are sent there for a reason. For now we will enjoy the next four months that we have together!! I love you mom and dad! Thank you for being my wonderful parents and for the AMAZING examples that you are! You are truly amazing people!! I wouldn't be who I am today without you!

17 comments:

Annie said...

Wow!! hw exciting for them. That will be a great experience for the both of them. They are both great people and the people in Japan will love them.

Jessica Madsen said...

That's so awesome! Justin said he's not surprised. He told me all about how kind and awesome your parents are. And I was tearing up reading what you wrote about them, and hearing your testimony. Your family will be blessed by there service! We say congrats to you guys too! And who knows?, maybe you will be visiting Japan pretty soon!

ariannet said...

Wow! That is so exciting! It will be an incredible experience for them and for your family. Plus, what a great excuse for you to do a little traveling in the next few years!

Beth and Jess said...

How exciting. What an awesome experience that will be. And lucky you, You have an excuse to go to Japan.

Jesse said...

That is great and sad all at the same time. Even though it will be hard, your whole family will be blessed in so many ways. Your parents are great people, the missionaries could only be so lucky! Here's to Japan!

The Jacobson Family said...

That is so neat, I am glad that we have had the chance to meet them a couple times they are such wonderful people, also it was great having dinner with you guys the other night and getting a chance to catch up with you it had been a while but lets get together soon.

Walter Family said...

That is really neat they get to go do that! How fun for you if you get to go visit them! Hopefully three years will go by fast for you, but that will help to have your your brother and sister close still. What exciting news though!

Angie said...

That is so crazy and awesome and amazing all at the same time. My mom spilled the news to me on Saturday (mormon gossip travels fast) and I was so excited. Tell your mom I'm questioning the church b/c I think she is a crazy woman and she is going to stir things up in Japan. :) Seriously though, I just love your parents and I am so excited! I can't wait to hear all about it!!!

Kellie said...

You are so cute, I'm crying a little :) And you CAN brag about your parents! They will be awesome there, lucky missionaries for sure!

I'm Mindy. said...

Your parents are so great. They will be such a great asset in Japan. Your parents will leave a impact everyone they meet and serve. Japan is very lucky to have them!!

BROOKLYNandJEFF said...

How exciting! My sister and her husband lived in Fukuoka for 1 year since he played baseball there. They loved it! Wish your parents luck for us! Mushi Mushi (means hello in Japanese)

N Luthi said...

sounds like a great opportunity! but what huge culture change. I wish them the best of luck you parents are great!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is exciting but sad at the same time...I don't know what I would do without my mom for 3 whole years!! If you ever need a "mom replacement" you can feel free to use mine :)

The Broughs said...

Oh Kara, what will you do with out your parents? We will have to hang out more so you will not be lonely. Your parents will be INCREDIBLE in Japan. They are so awesome. It was so good to see your mom the other day. You will have to tell me if they have a farewell, I would love to come!

Allison said...

Congratulations to them! That's really exciting. Fukuoka was my Dad's mission 20+ years ago.

sorensenpower said...

Wow! Your parents seem way too young to be mission presidents... Do they know Japanese? Maybe we'll have to visit as well so Emi can help do some translating!

Tim and Holly Fowers said...

My dad told me about this and I was very excited for them and for you guys! I know it will be hard (Tim's parents are on a mission in Oklahoma) but you really can call anytime. And the great thing to think about is that they AND their family will be more blessed by them serving than if they were home. we have experienced this first hand and we continue to experience it every day. It doesn't mean you won't miss them, but it will make it okay some days!