Thursday, December 17, 2009

The tale of BIGGIE and BOO BOO


*Disclaimer: To most this will not be funny! To my parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, and cousins....this will be a warm reminder of my favorite friend!

Let me tell you a tale about my childhood blanket. I had a blanket that I loved. It was my best friend. I carried that thing everywhere. My mom tried to replace it several times, but he always came back. The reason I loved this blanket and not any others was because Biggie and Boo Boo lived on my blanket. I don't know where I got the names for these two little things, nor do I know why I liked them so much. Let me explain..Boo Boo was the tag that was attached to the blanket. However he wasn't a tag that stuck out...he was hooked to the lining edge of the blanket. He was raised a little more then anything else so it provided for a good face rub when i was tired. Biggie was the lining edge...you know the finished edge of the blanket. The edge of the blanket had come unattached on a small portion of the blanket. Much like the picture you see above...if only there was a small cut that made it not connected. Anyways Biggie was unattached enough that I could hook my fingernail under it and make it stay. This is how I slept.

Biggie and Boo Boo went every where with me. I was attached. This poor blanket made it through the wash ALL the time, got sewed on by my aunt Marci too many times to count, and I cried when I threw up at my aunts house and she insisted that she needed to wash the blanket and I would have to sleep with out it.

I've discovered that Biggie might have lived on. Ethan has now become attached to one of the many blankets he has. I never thought this would happen, but he has picked a favorite. Seeing that this blanket gets dragged around the house with him it has become unraveled on the edge and has pulled away from the blanket. He now straps this around his wrist and sleeps this way. I can't help but laugh and remember feeling that love for my blanket...that stupid blanket that my mom threw away (mean mom!!! I still love you though) and tried to replace with a new one!!

Now I understand the underlying reasons my mom tried to get rid of my blanket. I have to bribe Ethan to give it to me to wash. So to all my family that put up with Biggie and Boo Boo...THANK YOU! And to my siblings who tried to destroy it....there will be payback when your kids try and do the same thing to each other!

4 comments:

Kristin said...

I loved hearing this story again...as if I didn't have to LIVE through it for 19 years!! I'm so happy that you have a son just like you! Also...biggie & boo boo were just 2 of the many PROBLEMS you had as a child! I still think Elmo in Hawaii was the BEST!! You have to admit, Phil and I put up with some serious crap...and you deserved what you got, precious!!

Love you!!

smargetts said...

All I can say is Kristin is right on. You did push my limits some days. Biggy and booboo drove me crazy sometimes. But you were precious then and you still are now. I do love you. Good luck with my precious little Ethan. And don't you ever throw that blanket away!!!!!!

Kellie said...

That is so cute! I love the childhood tales! And Ethan looks so cute, you can't take it away :)

Tyler and Jill said...

I remember Boo Boo but not Biggie!