Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I did it!!!

I conquered the big Salt Lake City MARATHON on April 17! 26.2 miles royally kicked my trash! I mean, I laughed and almost cried when I saw on the news Saturday night that the first place girl ran it in like 3 hours and five minutes or something...not to mention that she started like 15 minutes late. I will never be one like that, but I now can say that I freakin ran a marathon!! (I get excited just saying that). I've been a little hard on myself about my time, cause I really thought I would be able to finish it by like 4 hours 45 minutes, but looks like I'll have to shoot for that next time....if there ever is a next time! The goal was to finish, and that I did!

For those of you who have known me, know that I went on a weight loss journey over the last two and a half years. In November of 2008 I got a slap in the face realizing that I was over weight. I've said it before and it's very true...I was always confident of myself, I was a very happy person and my weight never got me down. However there were those times I would look in the mirror and realize if I kept going as I was, not exercising and not eating right, I was going to end up being in a place I didn't want to be in! The day I got my bodybugg I set my mind to losing weight. I ran a 5k with my hubby and in-laws and realized that this body was capable of things I didn't think I was capable of. I realized that I could be even happier then I already was and feel GREAT about myself. A marathon NEVER crossed my mind. NEVER EVER EVER! As I kept exercising and realizing the different things I could accomplish I set my mind to running one. I'm not an excellent runner but I really developed a love for running. Finally I accomplished this goal and it's amazing to think of where I was....
and what I just accomplished....
Here is a little recap of my experience. I didn't sleep extremely well that night. Woke up at 4:15 to have breakfast, get ready, mentally prepare myself, and make it over to my friends to ride up to the Gateway. We got to the Gateway, jumped on TRAX which was packed like no other, and rode the ride up to the U of U. We got there about ten minutes before it started and I was feeling good. The horn sounded and off we went! I felt great. The first seven miles were a breeze. I made a potty stop since all the bathrooms were packed at the start line and every other miles marker. Didn't take long and was off again. I was excited because I was under my ten minute mile pace and feeling great. I hit mile ten and right after saw my sweet hubby and in-laws who had some food and drink for me. Chatted for a few seconds and was off again. Kept feeling great until about mile 13 where I started to feel tired and was now realizing I was only half way done! Hit mile 14 and saw my hubby and in-laws again! Waved to them and kept on running. About 14.5 i felt a big pain start in my lower back, everything from my lower back down to my mid thigh started to go numb (I blame this on a bulging disc I have on my lower back that gets irritated every now and again, but has never bugged me with my running). I tried to fight through it but by mile 16 I was hurting. At this point I had to start walking. I would run here and there but I slowed WAY down! I knew Kurt was at mile 18 so I kept pushing to get to him where he was waiting with some energy and most important an 800. I finally made it to 18 and my hubs was nowhere. I panicked thinking I had missed him. I pulled out my phone and called him only to find that I had misread the paper wrong, he was where he was supposed to be, but it was closer to mile 20. My sweet mother in law ran down to find me and walked/ran with me until we met up with my hubs. I took the 800 and walked until I felt it start to kick in and then I was off. I'll be completely honest...the last six miles were AWFUL! Mostly because I wanted to run so bad, but physically I couldn't. It was a walk/run the rest of the way! I wish so bad I could have got my body to just take off but just thinking that I still had at least another hour even running at a ten minute mile was depressing.
I just kept pushing through it and as I hit main street I knew the end was in sight. Kurt found me near the Raddison and ran the rest of the way with me!
I turned the corner to see all of this....
My family started going nuts!! They were so loud and just went crazy!! I got a HUGE burst of energy and started running as fast as my worn out legs would take me! It was exhilarating to cross the finish line and to know that this body of mine accomplished something I NEVER thought possible! It's a funny thing how the mind works...because even being a few days after I'm already thinking of what I would do different in the next one...am I crazy? Would I actually put my body through this again?? Guess only time will tell.
It's amazing the things you can accomplish in life when you put your mind to it! It's crazy to think of me back then, not even able to run a mile, and now 26.2! I'm as sore as ever, but that soreness is a reminder of the journey I've been through to get me here!! Thank you to everyone who supported me! It was so awesome to have my cheering squad at the end and through out the race. I couldn't have done it without my sweet hubby who encouraged me through my training and pushed me until the end! I have the best families who are constantly there! Love you all! You are the BEST!

28 comments:

N Luthi said...

This made me cry. you really are so amazing. I need to use you as a postive modivator!!! great job!

BROOKLYNandJEFF said...

I am so proud of you! I am secretly jealous too! I am trying to get this baby weight off and you have totally motivated me. I just went for a walk (not quite running yet). I am glad to hear you hated running cause that's how I feel. I hate running and it would probably take me 30 minutes just to go a mile! So now I am motivated, hopefully I will start to run, and enjoy it. Congrats, way to go!

Kristen and Tyler said...

That's pretty cool Kara! I think it's so cute that Kurt met you to run! Congrats!

Robyn said...

Congratulations Kara! (Sorry, I found you through Ryan's blog)That's amazing. I am so impressed. You look really awesome too! I definitely need to learn some pointers from you. I HATE running. Great job!

Isaac and Dallas said...

It's so crazy. I can't believe you did it. That is so awesome. You've done an amazing job with it. Congrats.

Kimberly said...

My word I'm darn near balling over here!! Kara you amaze me. Way to go sweetie! Love you attitude. Always have. You're inspiring sweet girl! Big Congratulations to you! xo

Anonymous said...

Good job! That is freaking amazing and I am proud of you! I am always amazed at people who have the mental ability to run that long. "What on earth did you think about to keep you going?" is always the first thing I think to myself when I hear that someone has run a marathon. Anyway, awesome job!

Angie said...

OK I almost cried reading this. seriously. That is so awesome! I am so proud of you!

Walter Family said...

Congratulations, Kara!!! That is such an awesome accomplishment!!!

Kristin said...

I think I got teary eyed too...and I DON'T EVERY CRY!! Shees...I couldn't keep my emotions together at the marathon either. See what you do to me??
I'm still so proud, always will be...and you will always be my HERO!!

P.S. You are HOT!!!

Brandi Johns said...

Good Job Kara! Your story is so inspiring. Time isn't important. You didn't quit and that is what it is all about. I always say that the last six miles IS the marathon, isn't it the worst!!!

Great job, I am proud of you!!!

Jessica Madsen said...

Kara, this honestly brought me to tears, especially seeing your family cheer for you at the end, and reading about Kurt running with you to help you finish. YOu are an inspiration! I just signed Justin and I up for our first 5k... I know we can do it... especially after reading this. Thanks for sharing. Way to go!

hollyw said...

Way to Go Kara! You are amazing!

Henderson said...

Ok, I have been waiting for the story and pics since I saw your facebook post on Saturday...and all I have to say is YOU ROCK!!! I am so, incredibly impressed with your journey and with this awesome accomplishment! Way to go, Kara!!

Kellie said...

Woo Hoo! you are so amazing, and I love you... and I love Kurt for running with you at the end; makes me cry! Good job :)

I'm Mindy. said...

You did it!!! Such an inspiration! Love ya!!!

Little Beachs said...

Amazing! Thats so awesome that you were able to do that! I am trying to get up the courage to jog around the block.

Jonique'

Clifton and Melinda said...

Ditto Nikki. I seriously am wiping tears right now. What an inspiration you are Kara. I needed some motivation hard core...you are amazing!

The Jacobson Family said...

This brought tears to my eyes! You are so awesome and we are so proud of you. Congrats! We Love and Miss You!

James and Heather said...

So I totally teared up reading this too! I can vividly remember that feeling when I crossed the finish line of my half marathon last year - I can't even imagine what you must have felt when you crossed that finish line after a grueling 26.2! Congrats Kara! Maybe someday (far in the future - lol) we can run a marathon together!!!

Rosalie said...

That is so awesome! You look GREAT! Congrats! You have more guts than I do for sure! You give me hope for sure!

The Blanchard Family said...

You are so freakin awesome! Way to go girl! Seriously, you rock and how cool that you have so many people to love and support you on such a great accomplishment!

The Broughs said...

Kara... you are such a super hero! That is amazing! CONGRATS, CONGRATS, CONGRATS!!

Kelly said...

Wow Kara!!!! You look soooo good....seriously amazing!!! And I am so proud of you! Of course I cried....but such a wonderful journey!!!!

Tyler and Jill said...

I always knew you had it in you since the first time we ran track at West Jordan elementary school! HAHA! No but seriously...that is such an accomplishment! You are such a motivated person and I love you!

Merrells said...

WOW! That is such an incredible accomplishment and brought me (along with everyone else apparently) to tears. Way to go!

Karly said...

Um... I am bawling reading your recap! You are awesome!!! WAY TO GO GIRL and way to follow your dreams and goals!!

Jmons said...

Congrats Kara. Inspiring story, keep it up. I have done a few marathons and you learn a lot about yourself in the last 6 miles or so. How your body reacts to stress. My favorite marathon is the SLC marathon. Just be careful... they can become addictive.
Todd M.