Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Farewell & Setting Apart


Sunday was my parent's farewell. I think for me this has been an anticipated event, not so much in a good way, but more like I knew when this came that the day they leave is getting closer. They both did an amazing job and made every one laugh and cry.

Afterwards we had little lunch over at the house where lots of family and friends came. Luckily the rain held off in the beginning, and even when it started to pour people stayed to chat and visit. Thanks to all our family and friends who came out to support my parents. My sister, who was the master photographer, got pictures of everyone, but way too many to post. So here are a few.
Then today my mom and dad got set apart as full time missionaries. We were all able to go down to the church administrative building and meet with Elder Bednar and Elder Jensen. It was such a neat experience and their setting apart was amazing. So many things were promised to them and it was so comforting. I know that my cute parents are going to do such a wonderful job out in Fukuoka, and we are going to miss them so much, but after today and the things that were said, I think we were all comforted and know that this really is the right thing. What better way to serve our Heavenly Father. It was also fun meeting Elder Bednar and Elder Jensen who were so down to earth and had some great words of advice.

and of course we enjoyed a yummy lunch at Z' Tejas afterwards.

One week from today they will be off to the MTC for some training. They come home that Sunday afternoon and the following morning are headed off to Fukuoka. We can't wait for this new chapter in their lives to begin. We are even more excited for a trip out to Japan to see them. We love you mom and dad! Thank you for letting us be a part of this experience with you!! Go get em' in Fukuoka!

7 comments:

I'm Mindy. said...

Wow...what an amazing experience!! Your parents are such great people!

Isaac and Dallas said...

I am so excited for them. They did a great job on their talks. They are really neat people. A trip to Japan will be awesome.Mainly the flight with a three year old but worth it. Good luck these next few days.

OLIVERSONFAM said...

What a GREAT experience for your parents....And for you when you get to go visit!
I thought of you all day Sunday while it was rainig...Hoping the Party wasn't ruined!
But it looks like it was a HIT!!

Angie said...

That is so crazy. Congrats to your parents. They will be totally awesome (if your mom doesn't scare them off)-tell her I said that. :) They are amazing people and will be amaizing mission presidents. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Kellie said...

I always cry when you post about your cute parents! They are going to do such a great job; those missionaries are so lucky :) And you have such a great attitude about sharing them!

Kevin, Michelle and Jamin Gilbert said...

Wow! What an amazing experience! You have had such an exciting summer so far. I just read about your amazing weight loss- wow! I have been really working hard to lose a few extra pounds, but it is so difficult! I have always thought that you are one of the most beautiful people that I know. I didn't think you could look better, but I have to admit that you look FABULOUS! Kirt looks great too! Way to go!

The Dabo's said...

Bitter sweet for sure! You look so pretty in the pictures. Now you can experience a tad bit what I experience, NO MOM TO HELP. At least you do have Kurt's parents. Good luck with your emotions the next couple of weeks.