Sunday, September 25, 2011

{Triathamom}

Yesterday was my first sprint triathlon. My sis in law Mindy had told me about it months ago and I agreed to do it with her. My other sis in law Alaina and her friend Danika joined us too! This was a first for me so I set out learning to be a better swimmer, learning how to ride a road bike, and then starting to transition everything together. A sprint tri consists of a 300 meter swim, a 12 mile bike ride, and then a 5k (3.1 miles).

Friday night we picked up our packets and got body marked. Our numbers were on both our arms and our age was on our calf. We set out nice and early Saturday morning to get our transition area all set up with our different shoes and any clothes we were changing into. Let me just say that I loved the tri, it might be a new favorite of mine. The swimming was a bit chaotic....people didn't know how fast they swam and we probably should have put ourselves more in the beginning as faster swimmers. We ended up passing a few people on our way, but still was fun and I was glad it wasn't in open water. That is me in the bright pink cap!!
The bike ride was a ton of fun. The first 4.5 miles were a gradual uphill and then a good steep climb, but the rest of the ride was down hill and a flat stretch.
Last was the run. The first mile was probably the hardest part of the whole triathlon. My legs felt like jello and it was a small uphill right at the beginning. I felt like I was running in place but just kept telling myself not to stop or I would never get going again. Finally I passed the first mile and I felt like I got into a rhythm. I finished in 1 hour 31 minutes. It felt awesome crossing the finish line! I felt great the rest of the day...it felt like I had had an intense workout that morning but still was functionable unlike my marathon! If you are thinking of doing a sprint tri I would highly recommend it. It was tons of fun!!
I know you can't see it, but they gave out these cute necklaces with "Triatha{mom}" imprinted on it as our medal for finishing. I thought it was such a cute idea rather then a huge ugly medal that I never look at.

15 comments:

Kellie said...

You guys are so great! I'm sad I missed it... well missed cheering for you :) Maybe I'll be around for the next one?!? Good for you, and you look awesome! Love you :)

Shell said...

You are so tough, Kara! Looks like it was so much fun! Great job:)

Angie said...

You're such a rockstar. Congratulations! I wish I lived closer and we could do these things together.

Isaac and Dallas said...

Good Job. You had a great time. If I were to do a race this is one that I could do. I like that its a little of them all. Your an amazing lady. Good job.

Stephanie said...

I'm so impressed! And you look great!!

Henderson said...

sorry, that was me... :)

The Dabo's said...

You're nuts.

Rosalie said...

That is awesome! I would love to do the next one! When is it? Of course it will have to be after the baby is born! But that looks like GREAT fun! Congrats to you and Alaina! You are both an amazing inspiration! Thanks for sharing!

Ruby Ridd said...

Good for you!! Looks like so much fun!!

Ruby Ridd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
I'm Mindy. said...

Thanks for joining me! It was so fun having you there. I am looking forward to next year. Hopefully Jen and Kellie can join us ;)

Walter Family said...

That is so awesome you did that!!! Great job, you are amazing! :)

hollyw said...

Wow! You are amazing...and looking so skinny I might add! Way to go!

Rich and Nickie said...

I want to be a tri mom someday...you rock! And you look way to cute when you race:) Good work. Hopefully you didn't swell up like an elephant after the race like I did:) P.S. Your post also makes me want to be in Utah for the fall. I miss EVERYTHING about fall in Utah. But mostly Garner village. Enjoy your weather we are still at 110 degrees...ugh!

Todd M said...

AHHH! These are my favorite. Love the marathons but the Tri's are a lot funner to prepare for and to race in. I have done several but did my first sprint tri this year and had a blast. Keep up the racing.
Todd M